Saigon Secrets: Unbelievable Turtle Lake & Notre Dame Walk (Ho Chi Minh City)

Saigon One - Walk to Turtle Lake & Notre Dame Ho Chi Minh City Vietnam

Saigon One - Walk to Turtle Lake & Notre Dame Ho Chi Minh City Vietnam

Saigon Secrets: Unbelievable Turtle Lake & Notre Dame Walk (Ho Chi Minh City)

Okay, buckle up, buttercups, because we're diving headfirst into the Saigon Secrets: Unbelievable Turtle Lake & Notre Dame Walk (Ho Chi Minh City) experience. Forget the polished brochures; this is the unfiltered, probably slightly messy, truth. Ready? Let's do this!

First Impressions (and a Rant about Google Maps):

Finding this place… was a journey. Seriously, Google Maps took me on a wild goose chase. But hey, that built character, right? (Mostly it made me sweaty and grumpy, truth be told). Once I actually arrived, though… well, the entrance was… there. Look, I’m starting off messy, just like promised. It’s a bit understated, maybe even secretive, which, I guess, fits the name. The 24-hour front desk was a lifesaver after my navigation nightmare. Check-in/out [express]? Yeah, sign me up. Especially after wrestling with a scooter taxi in the Saigon heat.

Accessibility (because it matters, and I'm getting older, darn it):

Okay, so Facilities for disabled guests is listed, which is usually a good sign, but I didn't personally put this to the test. The elevator was definitely welcome, my knees thanked me for that. Important stuff. If you need super-specific wheelchair info, I’d recommend contacting the hotel directly.

Cleanliness & Safety (because nobody wants the 'rona):

This is where the hotel really tries. The Anti-viral cleaning products and professional-grade sanitizing services made me breathe a tiny sigh of relief. They're taking things seriously. Daily disinfection in common areas is a good look. The staff seemed well-versed in safety protocols. I even saw some hand sanitizer strategically placed. Look, I get it. We’re all a little germ-phobic these days, and it seemed like they were doing a solid job. Rooms sanitized between stays… yeah, that's reassuring. The physical distancing of at least 1 meter? Well, that's harder to enforce in a bustling city, but they were trying.

Rooms: My Mini-Castle for a Bit

Oh, the rooms. Okay, let's be real: they're not palatial, but they're functional. And, thank the heavens, Air conditioning that actually worked! Free Wi-Fi? Yes, please! (Wi-Fi [free]… just saying it again). So the place is clean. The air conditioning is a godsend. And, honestly, after a day of dodging traffic and trying to understand Vietnamese, a decent room is all you need.

  • Things I loved: The blackout curtains (slept like a baby!), the hair dryer (crucial in this humidity!), the complimentary tea (a small touch, but appreciated).
  • Things that could be better: Maybe a slightly bigger desk for those of us who attempt to work (I'm looking at you, Laptop workspace). The lighting felt a bit… clinical. Some more creative room decorations would be welcome.

Dining, Drinking, and Snacking (aka Fueling the Adventure):

Let's talk food, because hello, Vietnam!

  • Breakfast: The Asian breakfast was fantastic. I piled my plate with pho, sticky rice, and all sorts of deliciousness that I am probably mispronouncing at this very moment. There was a buffet in restaurant, but I’m more of an 'a la carte' girl myself.
  • Coffee/Tea: Excellent. Absolutely critical for navigating the chaos of Saigon.
  • Restaurants: I only ate at the hotel restaurant once for dinner. The Asian cuisine in restaurant was pretty standard, but filling after a long day of exploring.

The Unforgettable Experience: The Spa (and My Near-Death Experience with Relaxation):

Okay, hold on to your hats. This is where Saigon Secrets almost lost me… in the best possible way. I decided to treat myself to a Spa. This is where it turned into one of the most hilarious, stress-relieving, and borderline-catastrophic spa experiences ever.

I opted for the Body wrap. Now, I'm not exactly a spa veteran. I'm more of a "sit-on-a-motorcycle-for-hours" type of traveler. But, hey, I needed to chill.

The woman who applied the mud wrap… let’s just say she was thorough. I was cocooned in what felt like 500 pounds of… well, mud. And then she left. Alone. In a dark room. With only a vague instruction to "relax."

Me: Internal monologue: "Relax? In a mud tomb? I'm claustrophobic! What if I suffocate? Is this a test of some sort? Should I shout? Breathe… breathe… deep breath…"

Then I started to itch. Oh, the itching! It was like a thousand tiny ants conducting a rave on my skin. I wanted to claw my way out of the mud. I was convinced I was developing a rare tropical disease.

Just when I thought I would lose my mind, she returned. I looked like a mud monster who had lost the will to live. But then, she washed it all off. And. I. Melted. The itching vanished. My skin felt like silk. And I experienced, for the first time in weeks, actual relaxation.

Moral of the story? The Spa at this hotel is worth the risk, but maybe give the Body wrap a cautious glance. Maybe request a less… intense experience. But, seriously, do it!

Things to Do & Relaxation (and a Little More Chaos):

  • Swimming Pool: They have an outdoor swimming pool! And the Pool with view is great, especially after a long day of sightseeing.
  • Sauna & SteamRoom: Didn't try either.
  • Fitness Center/Gym: They have a Fitness center, but I skipped it. Too much exploring to do.
  • Things to Do On Site: None. Just a well-placed shrine for quiet contemplation.
  • Things to Do Off Site: That's the adventure! The walk to Notre Dame Cathedral and Turtle Lake is close.
    • Anecdote: I'll be honest, I got lost on the way to the lake. Again. Saigon is like a maze… that smells of delicious street food. It's the best kind of maze.

Services and Conveniences (the Little Things Mean a Lot):

  • Concierge: Helpful. They helped me arrange a taxi.
  • Luggage storage: Useful.
  • Currency exchange: Very handy.
  • Laundry service: YES. Because Vietnam is HOT.
  • Daily housekeeping: Always appreciated.

Getting Around (Navigating the Saigon Jungle):

  • Airport transfer: Available, which is a godsend.
  • Taxi service: Easy to find.

Overall Impression (The Unvarnished Truth):

Saigon Secrets? It's a decent hotel. It's not perfect. It IS a great base camp for your Saigon adventures. Yes, the location is great. Yes, it's clean and they are being careful. Yes, the Spa is a must-try (with a dose of bravery). And honestly, after a few days spent in the city, I didn't want to leave.

Quirky Observations:

  • Seriously, the traffic. It's a ballet of chaos. But you kind of get used to it.
  • The food? Amazing. Everywhere. Eat everything.
  • The people? Friendly and helpful. Even when you're lost.

Final Verdict:

Would I recommend Saigon Secrets? Yes, absolutely, with a few caveats. It's not the fanciest hotel in town, but it’s comfortable, safe, and the location is ideal for exploring. It's a solid choice for the adventurous traveller on a slightly tighter budget. And the spa is worth the potential mud-induced existential crisis. In fact, the entire experience is like that: messy, imperfect, and utterly unforgettable.

Now, the "Compelling Offer" (Because You're Here for a Reason):


Tired of the Tourist Traps? Discover the Real Saigon with Saigon Secrets!

Hey there, future explorer! Are you craving an adventure that's more than just a photo op? Do you want to dive headfirst into the vibrant chaos of Ho Chi Minh City, leaving behind the cookie-cutter experiences?

Then book your stay at Saigon Secrets: Unbelievable Turtle Lake & Notre Dame Walk TODAY, and unlock these EXCLUSIVE perks:

  • The "Lost & Found" Upgrade: We'll give you a complimentary city map and a local's guide, so you might not get lost (as much).
  • The "Stress-Be-Gone" Welcome Package: Arrive to find a refreshing welcome drink and a complimentary footbath (because your feet will thank you after a day of exploring).
  • Guaranteed Relaxation (Even if it’s a Little Messy): Get a
Unbelievable Japan: Onikoube Osaki's Hidden Resort Paradise!

Book Now

Saigon One - Walk to Turtle Lake & Notre Dame Ho Chi Minh City Vietnam

Saigon One - Walk to Turtle Lake & Notre Dame Ho Chi Minh City Vietnam

Alright, buckle up buttercups. Saigon, day one… and let's just say, it didn't exactly go according to plan. Which, if you know me, is usually the best part anyway.

Saigon Scramble: Day of Dodgy Street Food and Existential Puddles

8:00 AM (ish) - The Wake-Up Call From Hell (aka, the AC Failing)

Okay, "wake-up call" implies I actually slept. More like a sweaty, mosquito-buzzing, jetlag-addled state of semi-consciousness. My trusty AC unit, bless its little plastic heart, decided it was time for a siesta. I swear, the humidity hit me like a physical blow. Felt like I’d been wrapped in a damp sheet for eight hours. Staggered out of bed, muttering about "modern conveniences" and "why did I think this was a good idea" (the trip, not sleeping).

8:30 AM - Coffee Crisis & Street Food Sabotage

Needed caffeine. BADLY. My hotel, bless its slightly faded glory, offered a "continental breakfast" which translates to "stale pastries." Nope. Needed the real deal. Found a tiny, hole-in-the-wall coffee shop a few blocks away. Ordered a ca phe sua da (if you haven't had Vietnamese iced coffee, get it). The condensed milk was practically a religious experience. Sweet, strong, and instantly revived me.

Then, the street food. Ah, glorious street food. I spotted a vendor with a steaming pan of… something delicious smelling. Looked like Banh Mi but…different. Asked the woman (who looked about 100 years old) what it was. She just smiled and held up her hand, motioning for me to wait. Pure street food roulette! Took a bite. Delicious. Instantly regretted not asking what it was. Ate the whole thing. Slightly suspicious of its origin. No regrets. Yet.

(Side note: This is where the "imperfection" comes in. I probably shouldn't have eaten that mystery meat. But hey, YOLO. And the questionable hygiene added to the charm, right?)

9:30 AM - Turtle Lake - So Very Green (and Crowded)

Headed towards Turtle Lake, supposedly a peaceful oasis. More like a swirling vortex of mopeds, screaming kids, and overly enthusiastic selfie-takers. The lake itself was pretty, a sort of murky green, but the atmosphere was less "zen garden" and more "mosh pit." I couldn't even see the actual turtle statue. It was buried under a sea of people. Took a picture of the chaos. Said to myself "I will never understand the selfie stick."

(Emotional Reaction: Mild annoyance. Mostly because I wanted a peaceful moment and felt like a sardine in a phone-wielding can.)

10:30 AM - Notre Dame Cathedral - Majestic, But… Unexpectedly Quiet

Walked to the Notre Dame Cathedral. A beautiful sight! But seriously, the silence inside was deafening after the Turtle Lake frenzy. Felt a little awkward, sneaking around looking at the stained glass. Took a moment to breathe. The architecture's amazing, but the feeling of quiet reverence almost made me…well, kinda sleepy. Maybe it was the lack of sleep.

(Quirky Observation: Noticed the tourists were all talking in hushed tones, like they were afraid they were going to wake something up. Maybe the ghosts of past priests? Who knows.)

11:30 AM - The Lost-in-Translation Lunch Snafu & The Delicious Consequences

Found a cute little restaurant near the Cathedral. Menu in Vietnamese and English. Success! Until I tried to order. I pointed at what looked like a noodle dish. The waiter nodded enthusiastically. What arrived? A plate of… something I definitely didn't expect. It was the most amazing braised pork belly I've ever eaten. Like, melt-in-your-mouth, soul-satisfying good. The sauce was like liquid gold.

(Doubling Down on the Experience: This was the moment. I ate slowly. Savored every bite. I’m talking, close your eyes and imagine your tastebuds singing gospel level good. Totally worth the initial confusion.)

1:00 PM - The Post-Lunch Coma (and a Near Moped Mishap)

After that amazing lunch? Pure, unadulterated food coma. Stumbled back towards the hotel, feeling pleasantly full and slightly dazed. Then, the near-death experience. A moped. Out of nowhere. Barely missed me. I’m pretty sure I turned several shades paler. Nearly yelled "MY LIFE FLASHED BEFORE MY EYES" but I just sort of…stumbled and kept on walking. Saigon- 1, Me- Still Alive.

(Emotional Reaction: Immediate adrenaline rush followed by a profound sense of "why did I choose to wear white shoes today?")

2:00 PM - Rain, Revelation, & a Rooftop Bar Rescue

The sky opened up. Torrential downpour. Saigon embraced its monsoon season. I ducked into a random shop (thank God for the narrow alleys, where I discovered many hidden gems with amazing prices).

(Messy Structure & Occasional Rambles: Right, so the rain. It actually cleared my head. Literally and figuratively. I looked at the chaos of the city - the constant hustle, the noise, the smells - and was like, "Damn, this is kinda incredible." Maybe the food. Maybe the near-death experience. But I was starting to get it.)

When the rain let up, I made a beeline for the rooftop bar my hotel recommended. Ordered a cocktail. Watched the city slowly dry out. Saigon slowly starts to transform at sunset. The lights, the colours. Maybe I was starting to fall in love with it.

(Opinionated language & natural pacing: This is what I found when I decided to drink the night away. The cocktail tasted like heaven. The view was stunning. And the best part? I still have another week to explore. I can’t wait!**

4:00 PM - The Plan (or lack thereof) & The Evening Ahead

The rest of the day? Who knows! Probably more street food. More adventures. More getting lost. And definitely more coffee. Let's see what Saigon throws at me next. And if I live to tell the tale…I'll let you know.

Escape to Luxury: Mont Blanc Studio in Bekasi!

Book Now

Saigon One - Walk to Turtle Lake & Notre Dame Ho Chi Minh City Vietnam

Saigon One - Walk to Turtle Lake & Notre Dame Ho Chi Minh City Vietnam

Saigon Secrets: Unbelievable Turtle Lake & Notre Dame Walk - FAQ... ish. (Warning: Might get rambly.)

Okay, so... is this walk *really* worth it? Like, seriously?

Ugh, that depends on your tolerance for heat, motorbike chaos, and questionable street food. Truthfully? Yeah, probably. But let me tell you, this isn't your manicured, Disneyfied "experience." This is Saigon, baby! You'll sweat, you'll dodge some close calls with two-wheeled death machines, and you might get a stomach rumble you'll regret later. But that's… part of the charm? Maybe? I'm still wrestling with that. I went with my friend, Sarah, and she was constantly clutching her pearls, shouting, "My *goodness*!" every five minutes. I found it hilarious. She found it terrifying. So, yeah, YMMV. But the sights... Oh, the sights...

Turtle Lake: What's the deal? Is it actually *secret*? And is there… a turtle?

Secret? Not really. It's a big, round park, smack-dab in the middle of crazy intersections. Turtle? Nope. No turtles. Just a rather underwhelming, yet still somehow fascinating, monument in the middle of the lake. It's more of a hangout spot for teenagers on scooters and couples on dates. The *secret* (and I'm using that term loosely) is the atmosphere. The energy! The street vendors! The weird and wonderful snacks! One time, I saw a guy selling, and I kid you not, *deep-fried quail eggs on a stick*. On a stick! I was hesitant, but I tried one. Best. Mistake. Ever. (Okay, maybe not. I got heartburn.) But still, it was so authentically *Saigon*!

Notre Dame Cathedral: Is it just a church? Sounds… boring.

Boring? NO! Well, okay, architecturally, it *is* a cathedral. But it's breathtaking. The exterior is a glorious red brick, and inside, it's cool and calm compared to the pandemonium outside. It's a stark contrast, and that’s part of its allure. I went one day, and a service was going on, which was strangely beautiful. There were these little old ladies singing in Vietnamese, and it was utterly captivating, even if I didn't understand a word. Plus, they have a cute little park across from it. However, here’s the real confession: I'm not a huge church person. I'm more of a "look at the architecture and then sneak off for iced coffee" type. But the sheer grandeur of it, the sense of history, it's impossible not to be impressed. And honestly, the people-watching outside the cathedral is GOLD. You got the tourists, the locals, the vendors, the kids trying to sell you stuff… it's a microcosm of Saigon. Pure gold.

What about the Post Office? Is it worth a visit, too?

Oh, the Post Office? Yeah. Definitely. It's right next to the cathedral. Giant, old-school, with high ceilings and maps on the walls. It's like stepping back in time... in a really beautiful way. Go even if you don't need to send a postcard (which, let's be honest, who does that anymore?). Just wander around, soak it in, and admire the grandeur. I felt like a character in a spy movie! Plus, it's air-conditioned, which is a major win in the Saigon heat. Find a vendor outside, and get a coconut water. Best refreshing drink to have after your visit.

Okay, street food... the big question. Where do I even *begin*? And is it safe?

This. This is the holy grail of the Saigon experience. The food! Oh, the food! Okay, so is it safe? "Safe," in Saigon, is a relative term. You *might* get a tummy ache. But that's a risk I'm willing to take, and frankly, it adds to the adventure! Start with the basics: Pho (noodle soup), Banh Mi (baguette sandwiches – get the pork!), and Bun Cha (grilled pork with noodles). Look for places with a lot of locals – that's always a good sign. Don't be afraid to point and try things. And learn to say "khong cay" (not spicy) unless you *really* like your nose running. Here's a pro-tip: Don't be afraid to eat from the little street carts, but make sure the food looks fresh and the vendor is busy. One time, I saw someone selling these amazing-looking spring rolls with peanut sauce. I ate about five of them – I had to! Heavenly. A couple of hours later… let's just say I spent a significant amount of time in the hotel bathroom. But hey, the spring rolls were worth it. (Maybe.) The risk is part of the feast.

How do I get around? Walking? Taxis? Motorbikes? Help!

Walking is doable, but be prepared to be *constantly* dodging traffic. The sidewalks are often...optional. Motorbikes? Unless you're a daredevil, probably not as a mode of transport. Taxis are readily available, and Grab (a ride-hailing app) is your best friend. It's the easiest, safest, and most cost-effective way to zoom around. The drivers are usually pretty good, and knowing you're being tracked by GPS is also reassuring. Walking is great to get a sense of the area but I would save yourself and use Grab.

Best time to go? When will it be *less* sweaty?

HAHAHAHA. Less sweaty? That's a good one! Look, Saigon is hot and humid, pretty much year-round. The "dry season" (roughly December to April) is *slightly* less oppressive, but you'll still sweat. Seriously. You will. Early mornings are best for walking around, but even then, expect a sheen of perspiration. Embrace the sweat! Pack light, breathable clothing, and drink tons of water. And when you get to the Post Office, hit up the AC.

Anything I should *absolutely* avoid? Tourist traps?

Okay, avoid the overly aggressive touts who will try to sell you everything under the sun. Politely, but firmly, say "khong" (no) and keep walking. Beware of ridiculously overpriced tourist restaurants, do yourLow Price Hotel Blog

Saigon One - Walk to Turtle Lake & Notre Dame Ho Chi Minh City Vietnam

Saigon One - Walk to Turtle Lake & Notre Dame Ho Chi Minh City Vietnam

Saigon One - Walk to Turtle Lake & Notre Dame Ho Chi Minh City Vietnam

Saigon One - Walk to Turtle Lake & Notre Dame Ho Chi Minh City Vietnam