Escape to Paradise: Colorado City's Desert Sage Retreat Awaits

Desert Sage Retreat Colorado City United States

Desert Sage Retreat Colorado City United States

Escape to Paradise: Colorado City's Desert Sage Retreat Awaits

Okay, buckle up buttercups, because we're about to dive headfirst into… well, let's call it a review-ish, stream-of-consciousness, barely-holding-it-together look at the Escape to Paradise: Colorado City's Desert Sage Retreat. Ready? Here we go…

Escape to Paradise: Colorado City's Desert Sage Retreat - My Brain's Take (aka, the Truth!)

Alright, so Colorado City. It whispers adventure doesn’t it? Or maybe it just whispers… I'm getting ahead of myself. Let’s just say, escaping to a desert retreat sounds like pure, unadulterated, yes, please at the moment. And frankly, after the week I’ve had, I’m ready to be scrubbed, wrapped, and basically pummeled into relaxation. Let's see if the Desert Sage can deliver.

(Accessibility - Let's Get to the Nitty Gritty, Shall We?)

Okay, important stuff first. “Accessibility.” They’re claiming the goods. Facilities for disabled guests? Tick. Elevator? Thank god, my legs are already screaming. But here’s the thing - does it work well? Are the hallways actually wide? We need details, people! I'd want to ask about the exterior corridors. Is it easy to maneuver a wheelchair or walker? I'd need to know. This is crucial for real people, and I hope the review doesn’t skim over the most important point. Let’s make sure.

(Food, Glorious Food – Will My Stomach be Happy?)

Okay, here we go. The part I care about the most. Dining. Drinking. Snacking. This is where the magic (or the misery) happens.

  • Restaurants, Restaurants, Restaurants! Listed: several restaurants… and an international cuisine? A vegetarian one? (Hallelujah!). Western and Asian? Intriguing! A coffee shop? Yes. Poolside bar? Double yes. But…do they taste good? Is the service friendly? Are the portions generous? This is where the rubber meets the road, people.
  • Breakfast – Buffet or Bust? A breakfast buffet is listed, which is promising, unless it's a sad, lukewarm affair. I do love buffets, but there must be food, a spread, a veritable feast! Breakfast takeaway service is a nice touch, but let's be honest, I'm more of a "lounge in my bathrobe and graze" kind of gal, so I am interested in the in-room breakfast…if it's good coffee, and a decent omelet would be heaven. Asian and Western breakfast are intriguing and sound promising.
  • Other Food Tidbits: Happy hour? YES! A la carte? Good. Desserts in restaurant? DEFINITELY good. Snack bar? Perfect for those late-night cravings when you're just too blissed-out to leave your room. But…is there a decent selection? This is important!! A bottle of water in the room is a must. Coffee/Tea in the restaurant is important. Salad? Please, the restaurant is listed, but are all the choices of good quality?
  • Food Safety Frenzy? Anti-viral cleaning products and all that stuff? I love the fact they're doing it, but let’s hope they’re not using it in the food? Safe dining setup, individually-wrapped food options. I'm very pleased they're taking it seriously.
  • A Caveat: I'm a picky eater, and I'm okay with saying it. So, for me…food can make or break an experience. And I’m hoping things are so good that I might get a taste. I'd love to get a room and order from the menu and enjoy some good dishes.

(Ways to Relax - My Personal Goal)

Ah, the whole reason we're here. Relaxing. Let's see…

  • Spa Sensations: Body scrub, body wrap, foot bath, massage, sauna, spa, spa/sauna, steamroom. Oh… my… goodness. My muscles are already tingling with anticipation.
  • Pool with a View: Yes, please! A pool is a must.
  • Fitness Center: Look, I intend to use it. No promises, but I’ll pack my gym clothes. But if the spa is good and the restaurant is awesome, I may never see it!
  • Cleanliness and Safety – The New Normal: Daily disinfection in common areas, professional-grade sanitizing services… okay, good. Because these are the times we're living in. Individually-wrapped food options, physical distancing of at least 1 meter. I want to feel safe, not just pampered. Staff trained in safety protocol is a MUST. No one wants to feel like they are sitting in a germ factory.

(Internet & Tech – Can I Actually Work?)

  • Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! Hallelujah!
  • Internet & Internet [LAN]: Fine. I might need to actually get some work done.
  • Internet services & Wi-Fi in public areas: So, I could theoretically work from the pool? Tempting…

(Things to Do (Besides Napping, Obviously))

  • Business Facilities: This implies business is happening. Meetings and seminars.
  • Meeting/banquet facilities. Good, but I am NOT working when I am there!
  • Access to Audio-visual equipment for special events: Could you imagine, getting a movie night and some popcorn?

(The Room – My Temporary Sanctuary)

Right, this is where I'll be spending most of my time, or at least, what is listed.

  • Air conditioning in every room, what else do you need?
  • Alarm clock: Thank God.
  • Bathroom phone, Bathrobes, Bathtub, Blackout curtains, I approve of all of these.*
  • Coffee/tea maker, and complimentary tea, is a must, please!
  • Daily housekeeping: YES! My inner slob will thank you!
  • Desk: I might need to pretend to work…
  • Free bottled water: Essential.
  • High floor: This is what I want.
  • Non-smoking room: Crucial.
  • Seating area, Separate shower/bathtub, Shower, Slippers: Sold!
  • Wi-Fi free: Thank goodness
  • Window that opens: fresh air!

(Services and Conveniences, Because Why Not?)

  • Concierge: Please be informed and helpful.
  • Cash withdrawal, Convenience store: Yay, for emergencies.
  • Daily housekeeping, Doorman, Elevator, Facilities for disabled guests, Food delivery, Gift/souvenir shop, Ironing service, Laundry service, Luggage storage, Meeting/banquet facilities, Safety deposit boxes.: All in a nutshell, are important to ensure a smooth stay.
  • Pets? Pets allowed unavailable – That's a shame for pet owners, but a blessing for allergy sufferers.

(For the Kids (Because I'm a Kid at Heart))

Babysitting service, family/child friendly, kids facilities, kids meal. I don't have kids, but it's good to know they are welcome.

(Safety, Security, & Getting Around)

  • CCTV, CCTV outside property, Check-in/out, Fire extinguisher, Front desk [24-hour], Security [24-hour], These are a must.
  • Airport transfer, Car park [free of charge], Car power charging station, Taxi service, Valet parking: All good - great for tourists.

(Now, My Anecdote - Let's Talk About The Pool!

Okay, so I have a slight obsession with pools. Especially pools with views. So, if the Desert Sage Retreat truly delivers on this "Pool with a View," I could be hooked. I need to know if it's a true infinity pool, or just a vaguely-shaped rectangle. Does it get sun all day? Are there comfy lounge chairs and umbrellas? Is there a poolside bar that makes a decent margarita? (I am suddenly getting very particular, aren't I?)

(The Quirks (aka, Where Things Get Interesting))

I’m hoping for a place with character. A place that’s not just a cookie-cutter hotel. I want quirks! Maybe a weird art installation? A secret garden? A chatty bartender? Tiny imperfections are actually perfect, right? I want to feel like I’m escaping somewhere that’s real, not just a perfectly-manicured Instagram backdrop. And I want it to be, well… memorable.

(Okay, The Honest Truth - The Imperfections)

No place is perfect, obviously. So I'm prepared for a few hiccups. Like, maybe the internet will be spotty (I'm bringing backup). Or the coffee in the room will be instant (cringe). Or the spa treatment will be a tad… mediocre (which is a major buzzkill). But the potential for awesome makes me so eager!

**(Final, Rambling Thoughts and My

Mystic's Whaler's Inn: Uncover the Secrets of This Historic Gem!

Book Now

Desert Sage Retreat Colorado City United States

Desert Sage Retreat Colorado City United States

Okay, buckle up buttercup. This isn't your pristine, perfectly-packaged travel brochure. This is my desert sage retreat in Colorado City. Prepare for a rollercoaster of emotions, questionable decisions, and the very real possibility of me getting lost in a tumbleweed of my own making.

Desert Sage Disaster (and Delight) Retreat: A Hot Mess Itinerary

Day 1: Arrival and the Great Cactus Catastrophe (and the Search for Coffee)

  • 10:00 AM: Arrival (supposedly). Well, that was the plan. Turns out "Colorado City" is a wider concept than I anticipated. My GPS, bless its digital heart, keeps oscillating between "recalculating" and "are you SURE you want to take THIS road?" Seriously, gravel roads are the enemy of my rental car. Emotional Reaction: Mild panic setting in. Is this the beginning of a horror movie where I'm stranded with a pack of coyotes?

  • 11:30 AM: Coffee Quest and the Cactus Conundrum. Found a slightly more populated area than I initially imagined, and stumbled upon a "quaint" gas station that, miraculously, served coffee. But the real drama begins when I park… right next to a massive cactus. My clumsy attempt to open the car door results in a very intimate encounter with said cactus. Outcome: I now own a cactus-shaped souvenir imprinted on my left arm. Also, the coffee was about the consistency of dishwater, but I needed it. Desperately.

  • 1:00 PM: Check-in (finally!) at the Desert Sage Retreat. The "cottage" is… rustic. Let's call it that. The air conditioner sounds like a disgruntled alien life form. There's a suspicious stain on the carpet that I'm trying not to examine too closely. But, hey, the view from the porch is spectacular which I can barely enjoy with the lingering fear of what's on that carpet. Quirky Observation: I think I just saw a tumbleweed cross the road. This is officially a western.

  • 2:00 PM: The "Relax and Unwind" Session (aka: Attempt #1 at Peace). We were supposed to do some yoga or meditation. Yeah, no. Between the cactus-inflicted pain and the constant hum of the AC, my zen meter is firmly stuck on "anxious." Instead, I'm sprawled on the porch (away from the cactus!), staring at the sky, and trying to figure out if those clouds are judging me. This retreat is off to a GREAT start. Emotional Reaction: I'm simultaneously exhilarated and on the verge of a mental breakdown.

  • 6:00 PM: Dinner (allegedly). They promise "gourmet" vegetarian food. I'm a vegetarian, and I'm skeptical. I'm steeling myself for an evening of bland tofu and despair. Also the wind is picking up, which makes the tumble weed cross the road again.

  • 7:30 PM: Stargazing (If I can see through the clouds). The brochure promised spectacular stargazing. Let's hope the cloud gods are feeling generous. Rambling: I really hope I can see the stars. I have been searching for them since I was a little kid. The stars always felt like a source of peace. What a strange and beautiful life, to find such joy in things so far away.

Day 2: The Canyon and the Existential Crisis (and Pizza)

  • 8:00 AM: Breakfast (Survived the Dinner!). Okay, the food wasn't awful. Relief! And after getting over my fears, it actually tasted GOOD, and I'm ready to start my day.

  • 9:00 AM: Hiking (or, More Accurately, "Attempting to Hike"). The Canyon is gorgeous. Stunning. Majestic. And I am woefully underprepared. I should have brought proper shoes, water, and a less-than-fragile sense of self-worth. I manage to make it to the first scenic overlook before needing to sit down and contemplate the meaning of life. Emotional Reaction: Sweaty, breathless, and filled with a profound sense of awe… and the creeping realization that I am not a mountain goat.

  • 12:00 PM: Lunch (aka: The Great Picnic Debacle). I packed a picnic. Or, technically, bought some snacks at the gas station. Tried to find a picturesque spot by the river. Turns out the river is swarming with tiny, biting things. Ended up eating my sandwich in the car. Imperfection: Spilled half my water bottle and now have a soggy baggie of trail mix.

  • 2:00 PM: "Creative Expression" Session (aka: Fumbling with Paintbrushes). The schedule promised painting. I do not paint. I struggle with stick figures. The facilitator kept telling me "Just let go! Express yourself!" My inner artist is apparently shy. I ended up making a blob that vaguely resembled a… well, I'm not sure what it resembled. Quirky Observation: The paint smells like childhood and regret.

  • 6:00 PM: The Great Pizza Quest. After trying so hard to enjoy the retreat, I just realized that I really want Pizza. It's almost a compulsion. I will go ANYWHERE for good pizza.

  • 7:30 PM: Pizza (Victory!). I found a slightly decent pizza place. It was a beacon of hope in the vast desert. And now that my stomach is full, I feel like I have new lease on life.

  • 9:00 PM: Night time contemplation (if I don't fall asleep first). I might try to get some sleep. Even though it's hard for me to fall asleep, I still have to try.

Day 3: The Last hurrah and the Realization (and the Drive Home)

  • 8:00 AM: Breakfast and the Sad Farewell. I have fallen in love with this retreat. I actually WANT to stay.

  • 9:00 AM: One last hike (or, More Accurately, "Attempting to Hike Slightly Less Awkwardly") I went on a small hike. One of the locals showed me a small waterfall that was so peaceful. It's like the universe just knew that's what I needed. Emotional Reaction: I'm so grateful for this experience. I will never forget it.

  • 12:00 PM: Lunch. I will eat the rest of the food I bought.

  • 1:00 PM: The Big goodbye. The very last one.

  • 2:00 PM: Departutre (theoretically). Driving out of here, with a renewed appreciation for cactus and a deep longing for a good cup of coffee. The desert, in all its chaotic glory, has somehow managed to work its weird, wonderful magic. Emotional Reaction: Bittersweet. Sad to leave, but also… changed. Maybe even a little bit less of a mess. Okay, probably not. But I hope I come back here again one day.

Manchester's HOTTEST 2-Bed Apartment: Brand New & Central!

Book Now

Desert Sage Retreat Colorado City United States

Desert Sage Retreat Colorado City United States

Okay, so... Colorado City. Is it even *really* paradise? My grandma always said…

Paradise? Hah. Look, let's get real. Colorado City… well, it's *trying*. They've got the "Desert Sage Retreat," which sounds all zen and "om," but trust me, I showed up expecting yoga mats and got a dirt road and a tumbleweed that looked like it was judging my choices. My grandma, bless her soul, always said, "Paradise is a state of mind, honey, and sometimes that state is… deeply regretting not packing a decent pair of hiking boots." She might be right. But, honestly? The sunsets? Unreal. Like, blood orange and purple that made me feel… well, less like I'd just driven six hours with a screaming toddler and more like I was the main character in a low-budget western. So, maybe paradise isn't the *right* word. Maybe it's… "a place where the scenery is so stunning it almost makes you forget the sheer existential chaos of modern life." Yeah, I'll take that. And the silence at night? Unbelievable. Just the desert wind whispering secrets... whether you *want* to hear them or not.

What's the deal with the "Desert Sage Retreat"? Sounds a little... hippy-dippy.

Okay, so "hippy-dippy" is… a generous description. Let's just say they lean into the whole "desert spirituality" thing. Think less tie-dye and more… well, let's just say there was a lot of chanting and drumming. Me? I prefer my spirituality with a side of caffeine, but hey, to each their own. Honestly, the retreat itself? Rustic. Like, "rustic" as in "the plumbing might or might not work, and you’ll have to fight a scorpion for the last granola bar." The cabins are cute, in a ramshackle sort of way. The beds? Let's just say I slept like a rock… after finally figuring out how to assemble the mosquito netting. And the food? I swear, there was a lot of kale. *A lot.* But the air… the air was clean, crisp, and full of that desert aroma that got in my head and smelled like sunshine and something that can only be described as pure, untamed… *freedom*. I'm getting all philosophical again, aren't I? Ugh.

Is it a good place for families? Asking for a friend... (who is me).

Families… look, this is where things get *real*. I went with my two kids, right? The toddler, let's call him Chaos, and the older one, who thinks he's too cool for school (he's not). The good? There's space to run. Lots of it. They could actually *be* kids without all the "indoor voices" and "don't touch that" lectures. They found a lizard, spent an hour examining a particularly fascinating rock, and generally, exhausted themselves so much that they were asleep by 8pm. Bliss. The bad? The aforementioned dirt roads. The lack of Wi-Fi (for me, a blessing, for them, the end of the world). And… well, the utter lack of anything resembling a convenience store within a reasonable driving distance. Pack snacks. And bribery. Lots and lots of bribery. Seriously, bring extra gummy bears. You will thank me later. My son had a breakdown because he missed Fortnite, and the only thing that fixed it was a *very* generous supply of gummy worms.

What's there *to do* besides "contemplate the vastness of the desert"? (Because tbh, I'm not that profound.)

Okay, so you want *activities*? Fine. Here’s the lowdown: Hiking. There's hiking. Lots of hiking. The trails are… well, they're there. Some are clearly marked, some are… not. Pack water. And maybe a compass. I may or may not have gotten *slightly* lost. Once. Okay, twice. Don't judge! There's stargazing. The night sky is RIDICULOUS. Like, so many stars, you could practically reach out and touch them. Download a stargazing app – it's actually pretty cool to know what you're looking at besides "a bunch of sparkly things." They offer guided tours, which is good if you actually want to, you know, *learn* things. I skipped those. I'm more of a "wander off and discover my own adventure" kind of person. Which, as mentioned, sometimes involves getting lost. Also, you can just… chill. Read a book. Drink coffee on your porch (if you can get the coffee maker to work). Breathe. Honestly, doing *nothing* was a surprisingly good activity after a few days. I came back feeling vaguely… human-shaped again. I mean, I still have the toddler-induced eye bags, but… progress!

Is it actually isolated? Like, can I escape the world (and my phone)?

Isolated? Oh, honey, *yes*. My phone barely had a signal, which was a HUGE win and the biggest reason I went. I'm a digital addict, basically, so this place was like… rehab, but with sunsets. And scorpions, which, I admit, add a certain *je ne sais quoi* to the experience. I checked my email *once* in the whole freaking time. Once! And it was glorious. You can truly unplug. The silence is deafening, in the best possible way. You can hear the wind, the desert critters, and… your own thoughts, which is either fantastic or terrifying, depending on how much you like your own company. I have a love/hate relationship with my inner monologue, so you could say it was… *complicated*. But mostly fantastic. So yes, you can absolutely escape the world. Which, after the past three years, is the best thing about this place.

Okay, fine. But are there any... *downsides* I should know about? Be honest.

Alright, the unvarnished truth? There *are* some… let’s call them "quirks." First off, the drive in. Be prepared for a bumpy ride. My car may or may not have developed a new rattling noise. And the aforementioned limited amenities. Stock up on snacks, water, and anything else you might need. There's a serious lack of options. Also, the wildlife. The desert is full of it. Snakes, scorpions, spiders… It's a whole ecosystem, and you're a guest in it. Learn about them. Respect them. And don't freak out if you find a scorpion in your shower (it happened to me. I screamed. It's fine). And the biggest one? The sheer remoteness. If you're used to convenience, this is *not* your place. It's an exercise in letting go and embracing a slower pace of life. If you are someone who needs constant stimulation, this might be a challenge, or a form of torture. Choose wisely. And... oh! The people. The locals are... well, let's say diverse. Some are friendly, some are… less so. Let's just say I don't think I'd want to get into any serious political debates with anyone there. Just... breathe, smile, and if you get a weird look, offer a friendly "Howdy!" and move on. Trust me on this one. My husband may or may not have gotten a talking-to for asking about the town's history from the local hardware storeTrip Stay Finder

Desert Sage Retreat Colorado City United States

Desert Sage Retreat Colorado City United States

Desert Sage Retreat Colorado City United States

Desert Sage Retreat Colorado City United States