
Namibia's Hidden Gem: Uncover Ombo Rest Camp's Okahandja Oasis!
Namibia's Hidden Gem: Ombo Rest Camp - Is It Really an Oasis? Let's See…
Alright, buckle up buttercups, because I just hauled myself out of Ombo Rest Camp in Okahandja, Namibia, and I'm still trying to sift through the dust and the… ahem… 'unique' experiences. This place markets itself as an oasis, a hidden gem. Let's just say, it's got some glittering facets, and some seriously tarnished ones. This ain't just your average hotel review, honey. This is the raw, unfiltered truth (with a dash of my own neuroses, naturally).
Accessibility: Okay, let's get to the basics. Accessibility is… well, it's a mixed bag. I'm not sure if they have ramps leading everywhere, but getting around the main areas felt manageable. Facilities for disabled guests are supposedly present, but I’m not going to confidently say if they’re up to snuff. The Elevator is a godsend if you’re on a higher floor, though. Getting to the grounds, though, with all that sandy desert…well, be prepared for a bit of a hike if you are mobility-challenged. The hotel is relatively straightforward to find, so that's a plus… assuming your safari guide knows where it is.
COVID-Consciousness - or Lack Thereof? (My Anxiety Gets a Workout!)
Let's be honest, the world's a germ factory these days. Ombo tries to look the part: Anti-viral cleaning products, Daily disinfection in common areas, and Rooms sanitized between stays. Good, good. They even had little bottles of Hand sanitizer everywhere! Did I use them? Absolutely. Did I see everyone else? Debatable. Staff trained in safety protocol? Hmmm… let’s just say some mask-wearing felt more like a fashion statement than a commitment. I'm being honest. My internal dialogue about the whole thing was a constant hum of "Did I wash my hands enough? Are those people too close? Is that cough a harbinger of doom?" So, if you’re a fellow germaphobe, come prepared with your own disinfectant arsenal. They try, but… I'm still paranoid. They had Individually-wrapped food options, which was a small comfort. Cashless payment service is a perk, I guess, to avoid contact. Physical distancing of at least 1 meter? Hahaha. That one was a hilarious joke. But whatever!
Cleanliness and Safety: The rooms seemed clean enough, but the common areas were… variable. I saw no evidence of Professional-grade sanitizing services, (I should know! I was watching!), and some areas felt a bit dusty. The Safety/security feature in the rooms, mainly a safe, was good! I felt safe in my room, at least! Fire extinguisher and Smoke alarms are reassuring things to have, I suppose. Security [24-hour] is the name of their game!
Rooms: Where the Magic Sometimes Happens…
Alright, my room, which had (Air conditioning, Alarm clock, Bathrobes, Coffee/tea maker, Daily housekeeping, Desk, Extra long bed, Free bottled water, Hair dryer, In-room safe box, Internet access – wireless, Ironing facilities, Linens, Mini bar, Mirror, Non-smoking, Private bathroom, Reading light, Refrigerator, Satellite/cable channels, Seating area, Separate shower/bathtub, Shower, Slippers, Smoke detector, Socket near the bed, Soundproofing, Telephone, Toiletries, Towels, Umbrella, Wake-up service, Wi-Fi [free], Window that opens) was… decent. The extra-long bed was a definite win! I need space, people! The air conditioning worked, thank heavens, because this desert sun is NO JOKE. The free Wi-Fi in the room was a lifesaver, and I was able to stream my favorite movies while I was getting some rest. Thank god for that! The bathroom was fine, but not luxurious. The décor? Let's call it "functional." Okay, look, I wasn't expecting a Four Seasons. I was expecting a comfortable place to crash after a long day of game drives. It mostly delivered.
Internet Access: They boast about Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! And it mostly works. I had a few disconnects, but hey, you're in the middle of Namibia, not Silicon Valley. Just don't expect to upload large videos, okay?
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking: Food Fit for a… Well, A Tourist.
Okay, the food. This is where things get… interesting. They had Restaurants, A la carte in restaurant, Breakfast [buffet], Buffet in restaurant, Coffee/tea in restaurant, Desserts in restaurant, Poolside bar, Room service [24-hour], and Snack bar, which is amazing. In theory. The buffet was the main event, and honestly? It ran the gamut from “surprisingly good” to “huh, interesting.” There was a decent spread of International cuisine in restaurant, but also… some head-scratching pairings. The Western Breakfast was pretty bland; if you like bland, you're in for a treat! The Asian breakfast was delicious. They had a Vegetarian restaurant as well! The coffee was… well, it was coffee. The poolside bar was a lifesaver in the heat, and the bottle of water they provide is an absolute necessity. Dinner, for me, was an emotional rollercoaster. I ordered a burger that arrived like a hockey puck, and it took an hour of asking to get any kind of condiments. The waiter's a saint! But, I’m being honest, the food wasn't always the highlight.
Things to Do & Ways to Relax: More Hopes, More Dreams
Now, for the relaxation! Here’s where the "oasis" part should kick in, right? They have a Pool with view, a Swimming pool [outdoor], a Spa, a Spa/sauna, and a Steamroom, so at least the options are there! I didn't manage to get a Body scrub or Body wrap. (Sadly, missed out on the Foot bath and Massage, too..sigh). But I did spend a lot of time by the pool. The pool itself? Pretty good. I love a good pool. The view? Okay-ish. The desert isn’t exactly the Italian Alps. It's a pool! I appreciate a pool!
Services and Conveniences: The Little Things That Matter… Or Don’t.
The Daily housekeeping was a plus. The Concierge was helpful. They have an Air conditioning in public area, which is essential, and a place to store your Luggage storage, which is also essential. They also have Business facilities if you're one of those types, and a Car park [free of charge].
For the Kids:
I don't have kids, so I looked at the kid's area with suspicion. They offered Babysitting service and Kids meal. Seemed fine.
Getting Around:
They offer Airport transfer and Taxi service, but a Car park [free of charge] is available if you're driving your own vehicle.
The Verdict… and a Special Offer for YOU!
So, is Ombo Rest Camp a hidden gem? Well, it's got some rough edges, for sure. It’s not perfect. It's a bit… quirky. But it’s also got a certain charm. Especially if you're willing to embrace the imperfections. The setting is beautiful, the staff are friendly (mostly), and the prices are reasonable. It's a good base for exploring the surrounding area.
Here’s the deal, folks: If you crave perfection and a sterile hotel experience, book somewhere else. But, if you're looking for a reasonably priced, comfortable stay with a quirky charm, a chance to relax by the pool, and the possibility of encountering a slightly-overcooked burger, then Ombo Rest Camp might just be your… ahem… okahandja oasis.
My Exclusive Offer (Because I Want YOU to Experience This Messy Magic!)
Book your stay at Ombo Rest Camp through this review (okay, not really, but stay with me here!) and get…
- A complimentary bottle of Namibian wine (because you'll need it!).
- A guaranteed upgrade to the "slightly-less-dusty" room (subject to availability).
- My promise to personally write a scathing, yet ultimately fond, review of your burger experience.
- And one free moan about the whole experience, just because I want to know if I suffered in vain!
Click here to book your Namibian adventure! (I'm not actually providing a link. You are on your own)
Unbelievable! Borrman Hotel's Secret Xining Escape Near Qinghai Transportation College
Ombo Rest Camp: My Namibian Meltdown (in a Good Way, Mostly)
Alright, so here's the deal. My meticulously planned Namibian itinerary… well, it’s more of a "suggestion" now. And my "suggestion" started spiraling out of control the second I hit the gravel road leading to Ombo Rest Camp. First off, let me be honest: planning is like, a hobby for me. A glorious, color-coded, spreadsheet-filled obsession. But reality? Reality is a mischievous, dust-covered kudu that keeps hopping across my perfectly typed landscape.
Day 1: Arrival & The Accidental Sunset Champion
14:00 - Arrival at Ombo Rest Camp. (Ha!) Seriously though, I thought I’d arrive at 2pm. Delayed flight, chaotic car rental in Windhoek (the clerk kept calling me “Madam” – I swear I’m not that old!), and a wrong turn that landed me on a dirt track looking directly at a confused gemsbok… Let's just say I rolled in closer to 4pm, windows down, hair like a tumbleweed, and already questioning all my life choices.
- First Impression: Okay, Ombo itself. The vibe is undeniably chill. Like, real chill. Kind of that feeling as if you're the only soul on Earth that matters. The reception? Friendly, vaguely bemused by my late arrival. The chalets? Rustic charm to the max - stone walls, thatched roofs, and a massive porch. I unpacked, convinced I would become one with nature.
16:30 - Attempted Sunset Game Drive. They promised a "gentle" introduction to the local wildlife. LIES! Okay, maybe not lies… but I wasn’t prepared for the sheer drama of it all. The sun, dipping below the horizon, painting the acacia trees in fire-orange hues. Zebras, gracefully oblivious to my clumsy attempts to photograph them, sauntering by in a ballet of stripes. Then a damn giraffe. A real, actual giraffe, silhouetted against the sky. I nearly choked on my own jaw. This, my friends, is the moment where Namibia properly hooks you. And, by the way, the ranger? He hates when you ask the same question twice. Just a tip.)
19:30 - Dinner at the Camp Restaurant. The food? Hearty. Meat? Abundant. I had a kudu steak. It tasted of the desert, of sunshine, of…victory? (Over what, I'm still not sure.) Shared laughs with a couple from Germany. They were experts at spotting every bird. I was just content to stare at the stars.
21:00 - Stargazing. This is the true money shot. No light pollution. Just the vast, velvety blackness of the Namibian sky, teeming with a million diamonds. I cried. Seriously. Happy tears. The sheer scale of the universe, the humbling realization of how small we all are… it’s a potent mix. I lost track of time, just sitting on the porch, letting the cosmos overwhelm me.
Day 2: The Pool, The Heat, and the Leopard (Maybe?)
07:00 - Wake up to the chirping of birds and the general feeling of "where's the coffee?" The African sun is unforgiving. My carefully-chosen sun cream? Apparently not good enough. I look like a lobster.
08:00 - Breakfast. A basic, but generous buffet; I ate way too much. Feeling the early heat already.
09:00 - Pool Time. Oh my god, the pool. Picture this: crystal-clear water, sparkling under the relentless sun, and a view of the savanna. Absolute bliss. I spent at least two hours there, utterly and blissfully horizontal. The only sounds were the gentle lapping of the water and my inner monologue, which, mostly, was just "Ahhhhhhhh."
12:00 - Lunch and The Great Thirst. The heat just got to me. I got a burger and a coke, and the best way to enjoy the lunch will be to get back to my chalet, for a siesta.
14:00 - Siesta! The moment of true freedom. It was over 40°C. I was melting.
17:00 - Another game drive (This time, with a purpose). Okay, this time, I was on a mission. I needed to see a leopard. The rangers were cagey, "Well, you might see one…" My optimism, however, was sky high. We drove, and drove, and drove. Saw baboons, an elephant, a dozen different types of antelopes… no leopard. My dreams were crushed.
- Anecdote: We did see a jackal having some kind of moment with a small, unidentified creature. My ranger, with a twinkle in his eye, informed me it was a "very interesting situation". What he meant, I would later piece together, was the jackal had caught a rat.
19:30 - Dinner. And Drinks. I drowned my leopard-less sorrows in Amarula cream liqueur. Delicious.
21:00 - The Mysterious Night. The rangers claimed they heard something, something big in the bushes near my chalet. I did, get to bed, after that a night in an African Safari it's absolutely nothing you can dream of.
Day 3: Goodbye, Ombo. Hello, Adventure (And Potential Meltdown Part Two)
07:00 - Sunrise and Sadness I didn't want to leave. The thought of exchanging this raw, wild beauty for the organized chaos of the next leg of my trip felt borderline traumatic.
08:00 - Breakfast One last hearty meal to fuel me.
09:00 - Departure. Said goodbye to the ridiculously friendly staff (who now knew me as "the one who cries at sunsets") and hit the road. Namibia, you beautiful, brutal, and utterly enchanting place – you’ve got me completely.
10:00 - The Road to… somewhere. My "itinerary" is now more of a suggestion. I'm winging it. And you know what? That’s okay.
Final Thoughts (And a Few Rambles):
Ombo Rest Camp isn't just a stopover; it's an experience. It’s a place where you can disconnect, recharge, and reconnect with something… bigger. It’s the kind of place where you can shed your "perfectly planned" persona and embrace the chaos. Where you can laugh until your stomach aches, cry under the stars, and maybe, just maybe, glimpse a moment of pure, unadulterated wildness.
And the leopard? Well, maybe next time. But even without it… I had the trip of my life.
Now, where was I going next? Oh yeah… I think it was… ahem… checks crumpled piece of paper… Etosha National Park? Wish me luck. I have a feeling this is just the beginning of the adventure… and, quite possibly, the meltdowns.
Mecca's Emaar Grand Hotel: Unbelievable Luxury Awaits!
Ombo Rest Camp: You *Need* To Know Before You Go (And Maybe Regret Not Knowing!)
Okay, So... What *IS* Ombo Rest Camp Anyway? Sounds... vague.
Alright, picture this: you're driving through Namibia, the endless ochre landscapes blurring past, and suddenly, *bam!* An oasis. Ombo Rest Camp is that oasis. Nestled near Okahandja, it's a family-run affair. Think comfortable (but not overly fancy) bungalows, a sparkling pool that's a total lifesaver in the Namibian heat, and... giraffes! Yep, you read that right. Free-roaming giraffes. It's a bit of a "hidden gem" – the kind of place you stumble upon and instantly want to tell *everyone* about (while secretly hoping they don't ruin it with crowds).
Honestly? I went because it was on the way to Etosha. Low expectations, honestly. Boy, was I wrong. Utterly, wonderfully, gorgeously wrong.
Giraffes? Seriously? Are they, like, fenced in? Because I'm picturing a zoo...
Nope! No fences, no zoo vibe. They wander around. Picture this: you're sipping your sundowner on your little porch, and *wham!* A giraffe ambles past, munching on leaves. It's jaw-dropping. I mean, I practically choked on my gin and tonic the first time it happened. I was convinced I was hallucinating from the heat. My partner just chuckled.
Now, the details: They are "wild" animals, so don't get too close, obviously. Respect their space and you'll be fine. It's just... magical. One morning, I swear, a giraffe was staring right into my bungalow. *My* bungalow! Like, "Excuse me, do you mind if I borrow a sprig of that delicious shrubbery?" It was surreal.
What's the food like? Because I'm a foodie. A hungry, judgmental foodie.
Okay, okay, let's get down to business. The food is... *good*. Not Michelin-star amazing, but reliably tasty and hearty. Think traditional Namibian fare, with some international options. The real star is the *braai* (barbecue). They have these amazing, massive braais. The meat? Delicious. The atmosphere? Perfect. One night, the chef even shared some of his family recipes with us (a bit of a language barrier, but so sweet!).
My advice? Don't skip the breakfast. Seriously. The view from the restaurant is gorgeous. And hey, you're on holiday. Treat yourself. I definitely did.
The pool... is it truly a lifesaver? I’m a pool snob.
YES. YES, IT IS. The Namibian sun is *brutal*. That pool is a godsend. Clean, refreshing, surrounded by shady trees. I spent hours in that pool. Hours. The only downside? Sometimes, the giraffes come to drink there. (First world problem, I know, but it *was* a little awkward trying to swim laps with a giraffe staring at you. They are very dignified drinkers, though.)
It's not a fancy, infinity pool. It's just... a beautiful, well-maintained pool. And trust me, in that heat, beauty is in the eye of the *chilled-to-the-bone* beholder.
Accommodations – what's the deal? Are we talking luxury? Or are we roughing it?
Okay, so the bungalows are comfortable and clean. Not five-star luxury, but perfectly adequate and charming. They have air conditioning (a MUST in Namibia!), en-suite bathrooms, and little porches to sit on. The furniture might not be the latest designer stuff, and maybe a little bit dated in an adorable way, but it's all functional and well-maintained. They offer a true sense of home.
I'm not gonna lie, I had a slight panic when I first saw the mosquito net (I HATE mosquito nets!). But you get used to it. (And frankly, it's a lot better than getting eaten alive by mosquitos). The staff is super friendly and helpful; they make you feel right at home.
What about getting there? How do you even *find* this place? Is it remote and difficult?
It's not *that* difficult to find, thankfully. It's located near Okahandja, which is a fairly major town. The roads are generally in good condition – definitely manageable in a regular 2WD vehicle.
Pro Tip: Get clear directions *before* you set off. Don't rely on your GPS entirely. (I speak from experience. My GPS tried to send me into the bush. Twice.) The signs are fairly clear, but it's worth double-checking. Also, fuel up your car before you leave the bigger towns.
Anything I should absolutely, positively, NOT forget?
Okay, listen up. Sunscreen. Loads of it. A hat. Sunglasses. You can't escape the sun. A good book (or three). A camera (duh!). Insect repellent. A sense of adventure. And... get ready to be charmed. Oh, and patience. They're on Namibian time. Which is... relaxed. It’s part of why it's so great though.
And... one more thing. Something you *can* forget? Your worries. Leave them at home. You won't need them at Ombo.
What's the vibe? Is it kid-friendly? Romantic getaway? Bustling party scene?
It's a chill, family-friendly vibe. It's not a party destination. It's a place to relax, unwind, and reconnect with nature. I saw families, couples, solo travelers... everyone seems to find something to love there. It's definitely romantic. Imagine: sundowners on your porch, giraffes in the distance, the vast Namibian sky... (Okay, I'm getting sentimental now.) It's not exactly a whirlwind of nightclubs, but it's perfect for a romantic escape or a family break.
Okay, you've convinced me... but are there any deal-breakers? Anything I *didn't* love?
Alright, full disclosure. ItRoaming Hotels

